My Photo
Name:
Location: Manchester, Manchester, United Kingdom

In Greek mythology, Prometheus is the son of Iapetos and Klymene (Clymene). His name means Forethought. He was the god who, despite warning, stole fire from Zeus and gave it to the primitive mortals on earth. That, to me, is compassion. But for his crime, he was shackled to Mount Caucasus, where Zeus' eagle would rip his flesh and eat his liver every day. His wound healed quickly and so the torment would continue daily with the eagle returning for a feast. This image of sacrificial love continues to fuel the things I do, or at least, reminds me of the things I aspire towards - for the betterment of society and the good of mankind.

Sunday, September 16, 2007

A Mythic Journey to Dublin, Ireland


In the Mythical Land of leprechauns and banshees sits Trinity College in the heart of Dublin. Founded in 1592, this university boasts of a culture rooted in a rich history.

As I partake of my breakfast one Saturday morning in the Dining Hall that resembles the dining hall in Harry Potter's Hogwart, I am suddenly amazed by a stallion trotting right in front of me.

I am not an equestrain, have never ridden a horse, but I can surely tell a fine steed from a pony or a colt. Its body shimmers in the sunlight, boasting of a firm and strong conformation. The mane is smooth and white, with a dash of dark brown on his points. I do not know how many hands tall it is, but its firm sturdy structure makes him a tall and proud horse, ready to be mounted and ridden into the winds. I would be like a knight in shining armour, and he, my valiant and heroic counterpart in a journey towards the unknown.

We made initial contact, but man-horse language can never be coherent. My gestures seem so weak and mild, and as I follow alongside this stallion on the cobbled-stone road, I can only admire the way it canters, trots and gallops, of course, to my dismay as I have a rather short, human torso with dangly legs.

It is of no wonder that I become mesmerised, entranced and transfixed by this Beauty. I remember reading about Black Beauty, and to some extent, this version is White/Brown. Unfortunately, man and beast can never be -- and soon, I find myself estranged and lonely, lonelier than ever before.

How can there be a connection between man and beast, I wonder.

But emotions are hard to describe. It is almost as if a child sees a puppy by the window and tells Mommy that that is his! I feel the same way. I want it so badly, but reality sinks in as the stallion gallops away, free-spirited as it came.

I am told later that among the Irish Mythology consists of a creature called the dullahan, a spectacular wild and black-robed horseman riding a dark and snorting steed. Did I witness a dullahan? Or did it exist only in the imagination, in the realm of fairy tales of which I embrace?

I know not. But the journey to Dublin surely ignites the imagination.

Will I see a leprechaun next? I am not surprised, I tell myself, as I walk into an Irish Pub for a pint of Heineken.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home