My Photo
Name:
Location: Manchester, Manchester, United Kingdom

In Greek mythology, Prometheus is the son of Iapetos and Klymene (Clymene). His name means Forethought. He was the god who, despite warning, stole fire from Zeus and gave it to the primitive mortals on earth. That, to me, is compassion. But for his crime, he was shackled to Mount Caucasus, where Zeus' eagle would rip his flesh and eat his liver every day. His wound healed quickly and so the torment would continue daily with the eagle returning for a feast. This image of sacrificial love continues to fuel the things I do, or at least, reminds me of the things I aspire towards - for the betterment of society and the good of mankind.

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Anti-Americanism

According to today's BBC News online:

This poll underscores conclusions drawn from several other surveys - that anti-Americanism is on the rise, and the more the US flexes its hard power - the more it deploys troops abroad or talks tough diplomatically - the more it seems to weaken its ability to influence the world.
(http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6288933.stm)

The poll did not just deal with Iraq. It also asked questions about the US handling of Guantanamo detainees; the Israel-Hezbollah war; Iran's nuclear programme; global warming; and North Korea's nuclear programme. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6288933.stm)


I am not surprised at all by this.

Many of my classmates here have been incensed by Bush's ineffective policies. Being able to witness the frustrations of my American friends and their own inability to "make the world a better place" (as the cliche goes) seems rather shocking at first. I'd always thought that American people are extremely forthcoming and outspoken, ready to combat injustices and go on strike, start a Civil Rights Movement, or Revolution, or the like. They are, afterall, People of the Free. Why are they suddenly so helpless, so handicapped, so repressed?


Politics aside, my own sentiments against the American system has gnawed me to the point that I have to articulate something that occurred to me a week back. I was at the 125th Subway station (A, B, C, D trains), ready to enter through the turnstiles, when I saw the gate beside it wide open. It was a rather unusual sight. I looked up, and it said, "All enter here" (or something to that extent). Without swiping the card at the turnstiles, I decided to go in through the open gate.

As I walked down the stairs, I saw a police officer looking at me. I tried to ignore her presence, but she beckoned me to her side. She then started interrogating me and questioned why I did not pay to enter. I tried to reason, but I knew I was losing the battle. I was really foolish enough to enter the lion's den. She walkie-talkied someone else to check on my supposedly past criminal records. They found none. I asked for a second chance. She refused. She will give me a summons. I sighed. I pleaded again.

"How much is the fine?"
"$60" was her curt reply.

I felt extremely lousy standing beside her, while other passersby looked on, and continued with their daily business. I was thinking to myself, " Many people enter without paying too, but nothing happens. Why me?? Why was I so stupid? I had my Metrocard in my hands!"

When all was said and done, she tried to "soothe" me by trying to give me a wide friendly pat, but no, I had already walked off. As I looked at the yellow ticket, it read:

"At T/D/O Resp was observed entering
through gate to avoid legal payment of fare."


To avoid legal payment of fare. Wow... That sounded awfully harsh.

I looked at the fine. There were boxes - $25, $50, $60, $75, $100, and others.
She crossed out the $60 box.

I then wondered what were the $25 or $50 fines for? If I had argued with that officer, I was pretty certain she would have increased my fine to $75 or $100. I turned over the summons, and found nothing that described the different fines, unlike what we have in Singapore's HDB or LTA summons. Singapore had the fines written in black and white, and there was no way we could dispute the amount. But for the U.S, I felt that the law was completely arbitrary, up to the whims and fancies of the officer who held your life (and your wallet) at bay. She could very well have taken me to the station for further questioning when she asked for my passport and I said I left it at home.

In the States, the officers wearing uniforms had complete power and authority over you. I was reminded of the movie "Crash" - and found the portrayal of these supposedly law enforcers and protectors realistically hypocritical.

Why don't they fine the masses of people who litter, or spit? Or find shelter for the homeless? Why open the door to invite crime?

I now know that in the U.S, there are no second chances -- which also reminded me of an article I read regarding the WTC tragedy. One senator was found saying, "God may forgive you, but we will not. We will hunt you down."


No second chances. Period.
God Bless America.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like what I have always believed, it's up to our own self whether we want to believe that we are being oppressed by the society or not. Many Singaporean feel that they are oppressed and so 'migrate' or choose to stay somewhere else.

I have always believed that the American are one BIG oppressive societies but they choose to feel that they are the most freedom people in the world and thus preach freedopm to the rest of the world.

Its how u want to feel Edmund. I feel free in Singapore. Free of crime, free of enemies etc etc.

If the American feel frustrated by their gov policies, then I would say that democracy has failed in America. Democracy which they are proud of.

8:31 am  
Blogger Saggs said...

I second what 'dbl I' says...

Hi Edmund, it's been a looong time! Hope all's well and that you're keeping warm in NY. Heard it snowed recently? We're freezing our arses off here in London! :P

12:53 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home