My Photo
Name:
Location: Manchester, Manchester, United Kingdom

In Greek mythology, Prometheus is the son of Iapetos and Klymene (Clymene). His name means Forethought. He was the god who, despite warning, stole fire from Zeus and gave it to the primitive mortals on earth. That, to me, is compassion. But for his crime, he was shackled to Mount Caucasus, where Zeus' eagle would rip his flesh and eat his liver every day. His wound healed quickly and so the torment would continue daily with the eagle returning for a feast. This image of sacrificial love continues to fuel the things I do, or at least, reminds me of the things I aspire towards - for the betterment of society and the good of mankind.

Friday, October 06, 2006

More of I.House

The International House is a huge residence with an array of facilities and amenities. I am trying not to behave like a tourist, carrying a camera just to show you around. But in the quiet hours of the afternoon, I decided to take a few snapshots.

The hallway from the elevator to the Main Hall does look like an art gallery:












The next set of pictures is the most impressive one. When I first walked in to I.House and saw the grandiosity of the Main Hall with high ceilings and chandeliers, I was glad I made this my choice residence.





















Sometimes, we all gather at the Main Hall for a very formal reception, where students from all over the world are handsomely dressed in suits and elegant dresses, and mingle with each other with some cheese in hand and a glass of wine.

The most recent formal event I attended was the Sunday Supper at the Davis Hall on 17 September 2006. It was a dinner, followed by a talk by the American Red Cross CEO, Theresa Bischoff. Some students, who were obviously professional musicians and singers, performed as well as part of the evening entertainment programme. It was a very nice experience indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home